Friday, August 29, 2008

calgon, take me away...

one of my favorite simple pleasures is taking a bubble bath...there is nothing more relaxing then soaking in a tub - bubbles all around you...i go all out...the candles... the music....sigh...if it wasn't so hot outside...i may have been enticed to go soak in the tub now...
but i regress...

my days in corporate america - there were many stressful days - i actually trived on that (i know...kinda sick) but there were many a time that the people i worked with in the office would hear me say "calgon, take me away" somehow that statement made me take a breath, relax and refocus...and it made those around me laugh...ahhh the sound of laughter...

for those of you who do not get the term...back in the 60's (my mother must have told me about them...how else would i know?) ;o) there were commercials for calgon bubble bath & soap products...they would show stressed out women with kids or jobs...and there escape was the bubble bath...so the catch phrase was "calgon, take me away"

one of my dearest friends has been having a real rough go of it...things completely out of her control have consumed her for well over a year now. she is a very very private person...and doesn't talk much about it...but every once in a while she'll need a break or an escape...and we venture out to do mindless activities to get her mind off of things...(at least that is my goal)

yesterday she called and asked if i was doing anything and if i would want to go check out the sale at bloomingdales...shopping? sale?? nice words!

we spent a few hours finding treasures for her...(ok...i found one for myself) and then ended our time at an outdoor cafe restaurant for a nice cold beverage (it was hitting the 90's)

we headed home after that...and as she pulled into my driveway and i got out of my car...i say to her "i love that i am the person you call when you just need to get out" to which she replied "you're my calgon!"

wow - can't get a better compliment than that...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love bubble baths, even though i never get to take them...this is cute:)

Anonymous said...

I also love bubble baths and the doctors always recommend bubble baths to relieve stress, aches and pains. All you need is 4 important items...soft music, sented candles, a good glass of wine and of course a lock on your bathroom door so kids, husband and pets don't bother you.