Monday, June 27, 2011

listening to God...

i have to admit...i haven't had a lot of those moments where i know that i know that God is prompting me to do something...i've felt nudgings...to do the right thing...but i'm talking about those moments...where the feeling is SO profound...that nothing else is ringing in your head...

i had one of those moments on friday...

i was thrifting...something i love to do...and there is this local church that has a thrift shop that is open only 4 days a week...so while i am scouring the goods...a mother and daughter are in the shop at the same time...the daughter was looking for clothes for herself...it was 50% off all clothing...and they were finding a good assortment of items that fit her...then they started talking about how to wear certain items...and of course...since that is what i do...i decided to volunteer and help them...so we started putting outfits together...and i showed them how to tie scarves in different ways...

throughout this whole exchange...every once in a while...i would hear the mother say..."this is such a blessing" and that just warmed my heart...because i think sometimes...people are so wrapped up in all their stuff...that they miss out on all the blessings that are around them...here was a mom...a single mom (i found out later) who was struggling...but chose to dwell on the blessings...

we had a fun time getting together outfits...and i heard the daughter say "so much to choose from" with the mother replying "we can only grab a few items...even at 50% off..." the daughter seemed to understand only full well of her mother's struggles to keep the family together with little to no money...and didn't argue or beg...just understood...

to put this in perspective...items were priced at about $4 to $6 for each item...which at 1/2 off is quite the steal with items being $2 to $3...and here i was...shopping to find items for the consignment store...to re-sell...

as i said good bye to them...they hugged me so tight...and kept saying "God bless you for all your help" and i told them what fun it was...and that it was my pleasure...

and as i was checking out...this very very strong nudging began...and i felt God literally speaking to me...to give them all the cash i had...i shrugged it off...as i thought it was just me thinking that would be something nice to do...but the nudging got more strong...i can't explain the feeling...

and i had no idea what i had in my wallet...so i paid for my purchases (with a check) looked in my wallet...pulled out all my cash...walked over to the mother...folded it small...and grabbed her hand...put the bills in her hand...and said to her..."God bless you..." as her eyes filled with tears...she grabbed me and held me tight...and whispered back to me..."God bless you..."

i left...with such a sense of relief...that i had been obedient...so strange was this whole exchange to me...and the strong overwhelming feeling...

and that was that...

or so i thought...

i ended up going back the next day to pick up an item that i had told my friend about...and she asked me to pick it up for her...i quickly went in...grabbed the item...paying for it...and who walks in??

the daughter...from the day before...she saw me...her whole face lit up...she ran over...hugged me...and said "God bless you"

she said she had to show her boyfriend this wonderful place where she felt so at home...

God is good...it amazes me how he takes care of each and everyone of us...from the single mom's...to the single girls...His love is amazing...and i thank Him for letting me be a part of a blessing...

No comments: