Tuesday, December 22, 2009

my grown-up christmas list...

as christmas quickly approaches...gifts are getting bought & wrapped...plans are being made...it is a great time of year...it is my favorite time of year...

the day after thanksgiving...all that is heard in my home is christmas music...it is set on shuffle...so i have no idea what song is next (i like that element of surprise) one song that i have heard for so many years...really hit me this year...so much so...that i looked up the words to really read it and absorb it...

here it is...with my thoughts at the end...

Do you remember me?
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you with childhood fantasies
Well, I'm all grown-up now
Can you still help somehow?
I'm not a child, but my start still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown-up Christmas list
Not for myself, but for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown-up Christmas list

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth?
Maybe only in that blind belief can we ever find the truth

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
And time would heal our hearts
Every man would have a friend
That right would always win
And love would never end

This is my grown-up Christmas list
This is my only lifelong wish
This is my grown-up Christmas list

can you imagine this? i can...the great thing is that we as christians...we will experience that one day soon...but what can we do now? is there anything we can do? it still breaks my heart when i watch the news...and see families torn apart by violence, hatred, jealousy...it doesn't seem to get better...

the gift-giving at christmas is wonderful...i'm not going to lie...i am like a little kid at christmas...but it isn't only about the gifts for me...it is so much more...the gift of Christ...who came to this earth so that i might have life...wow! what better gift is there??

but what i'm thinking this year...when you are wrapping your presents...keep in mind...the gifts you get & receive...although they are wonderful...they do lose their luster...that perfect pair of earrings, or handbag...or whatever the gift may be...after wearing that pair of earrings two, three times, you seem to lose the lust that made you crave for it in the first place...that ipod (or whatever) you wanted will remain unused and would just be an additional load to your bag! after squandering your $$'s with stuff you dont need anyway, everything turns to be bland again...until the next occassion...or the next edition...

suddenly this song is making sense....its not just the melody that satisfies my senses, but more the noble desire to pray for the more lasting "gifts" for our loved ones and those that affect and revolve around our lives...

the gift giving won't come to a hault - definitely not! but the bottom line of this is ...while we think about spending our hard-earned money to buy expensive gifts for our loved ones, families, friends, colleagues...lets not forget first and foremost to thank God for enabling us to earn and buy gifts...and then as we wrap those gifts with nice, fancy wrappers, i suggest we think well about these people and as we fondly write down our wishes and nice thoughts on those nice, small christmas cards...lets strengthen our bonds not only through material things but that which surpasses any other gift...the gift of sincere love shown by constant kindness and selflessness to those that we touch base with, everyday of our lives...

wishing you all a blessed christmas! may all the gifts that you wish for become a reality this year!!!

but more importantly...may you experience the true meaning of christmas...in all of His glory!

No comments: