Wednesday, May 13, 2009

for everything...

for everything i've ever tried to hold,
i have a scar...
a scar from the struggle it took
to secure
what didn't want to stay.
for everything i've ever sought to possess
i have wounds
deep, empty ones
betraying what i would rather keep secret
private disappointments
public rejections
and barren hopes...
spurned affections
adulterous hearts
that stumbled in their faithfulness
to my affections.
i have cried,
i have wept over spilled love
cut myself on the shards of a broken heart
and watched my emotions bleed
into every situation thereafter...
in struggling to stop the flow,
i bandaged myself in layers of denial
only to find
the scars still there
when i deemed it safe to look...
new prospects picked at the scabs
reopening old wounds
and leaving deeper evidence
of my previous pain.
oh no there is no denying
i've tried to possess some hearts in my time
and found them all slippery
too slippery to hold
and call my own...
and at the end of the day
the only thing that remains
in my complete possession
is my heart
and the ability to make better choices...

No comments: