Friday, May 29, 2009

graduation day for jessica...

today is an exciting day...my beautiful niece jess is graduating from high school...can't wait for the celebrations to begin...

what can i say about her?? i am so proud of the young lady she has become...i thought that i would dedicate this post to her via a letter...back in october...she had a homework assignment...well that she passed on to me...i was asked to write a letter to her as she embarks on to college...here is the original post...

http://striving4prov31.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-10-23T08%3A41%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=50

so...as this is her graduation day...and she leaves high school behind...these are my hopes for her...

Dearest Jessica –

What an honor to be asked to write this letter to you! There is so much I want to say…where do I start?

First…and most importantly – please know how much I love and care about you. I am so proud to call you my niece – I am so proud of the young lady that you have become.

I want you to know that if there is ever a time that you need to talk about whatever…know that you can call me…at any time…night or day…I would never judge you, critique you or change my opinion of you…so if ever you need someone as a sounding board – and don’t feel like calling your mom or dad…I’m here for you!

What an exciting time for you as you start this new chapter in your life…not only is it a new school…but a new home…new friends…new adventures…new lessons learned…

My words of encouragement to you:

Don’t let anyone ever tell you or let you think that you cannot do something…
Don’t ever be afraid to try something…it is better to have tried and failed…then to have never attempted something out of fear…
“mistakes do not define you, instead, they tell you who you aren’t”

Have a variety of friends – and be the best friend you can be…it is in giving to others that we receive…learn from your friends – learn about their backgrounds, their cultures, their passions…and share yours…

Focus on your goals – but don’t be so set on them that you miss opportunities for new ones…

This is an exciting time – school work will probably be piled high at times…take time out for yourself…whether it is coffee with a friend, riding your horse, being goofy, whatever…don’t let homework control your life…it is important…but so is your well being.

I pray you will never have your beautiful heart broken…but the reality is…you probably will…don’t let bitterness grow…and remember…that it is through the hard times…we learn…we learn who we can and cannot trust, we learn that we are a lot stronger than we thought…it is always better to have loved and been hurt…then to be closed off…and not experience it.


Forgive those that hurt you – holding on to hurt feelings will only hurt you…it will only affect you…you may need to keep your distance from those that hurt you…or set boundaries…but holding on to a grudge will fester and keep you from wonderful blessings…

I never went away to school – but I relate this to when I moved out of my mom and dad’s house…it was the first time I really felt like an adult…and with it came responsibilities…but what I have learned…is that if I keep my integrity in check…if I keep my walk with the Lord as my most important relationship…everything else falls into place.

So, the best advice I can give you really…is to keep your walk with the Lord solid…He is the one who is with you…always…so just know my sweetie…when you do have the times that you feel alone…He is right there…by your side…or in some case…He may be carrying you…talk to Him often…let Him know your fears, your loves, your passion, your worries, your stress…whatever…He will direct your path…

So whether you are studying like a mad woman, or out with friends…wherever you are…know that you have an aunt who loves you and will keep you in her prayers…

This is your time to soar girl – and I hope you do it with all the power inside you!

p.s. chester and sasha cannot wait until the day that you will be their doctor!

I love you oodles!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

thanks so much...i feel so honored that you would dedicate your blog just for me...lol
thanks so much for supporting me and being there for me, i love you so much!!

elena said...

you are most welcome! i am so proud of you...know that i will always be there for you!!
i love you!!