Monday, January 12, 2009

junk drawers...

junk drawers...i am tackling some of mine today...

it started as one...one drawer in the kitchen that held meaningless stuff...stuff that didn't have an appropriate home...so they ended up in the junk drawer...

what an appropriate name..."junk" drawer...shouldn't junk go out the door? why does it make a pitstop in my kitchen drawer...as if...over time...it will become meaningful and then have a special home of its own...

my one junk drawer has turned into 2 in my kitchen...two drawers that could be utilized for storage of other items that truly belong in the kitchen...

the problem is...i not only have junk drawers...but i have a junk room...my next big job...how did my spaceous well lit office turn into a junk room?

i know how it started...company is coming over...you have a few stacks of papers/magazines...whatever...so you place it in the room...hidden...knowing that you will get to it after the company leaves...

yet...the company leaves...life happens...other visits...next thing you know...the room is full of "junk"...junk that doesn't belong...but sits...idle...waiting for something to happen...

as i have been cleaning out my home...really cleaning out my home...i have been thinking alot of how the junk drawers...the junk room applies to my life...more importantly...my heart...

it may start with something so small...so meaningless...but we store it...saying to ourselves that we will get back to it...and deal with it...fix it...analyze it...whatever the proper adjective is...

soon these "small" things that don't belong in our lives...our hearts...well they start piling up...and there is no room for the good stuff...no room for the new stuff...no room...just a pile of meaningless junk...

the funny thing...is just like in the junk drawer...the biggest fear...is that someone would open it up..and see a drawer in complete disarray...or worse...my office...that someone would walk in...and see the mess...see the dsorder...
our fear...many times...is that people don't see our real fears...our anger...our sadness...we put up a picture perfect wall...to show how together we have got it...and maybe inside...deep down inside...we are dying...we are living a life in disarray...in a big piled mess...

i pray that as i'm cleaning out my home...of all the stuff that just doesn't belong...that i can really reflect on me...my life...my heart...and clean out the cobwebs...the hurtful words...the hard memories...the things that never were...the dreams lost...

as i'm cleaning out my junk drawers...and my junk room...i am finding a sense of relief...a sense of newness...a sense of less chaos...

as i'm learning to let go...learning to release...learning to not dwell...learning what to keep...i am finding a sense of relief...a sense of newness...a sense of less chaos...

there is room for new...there is room for dreams...there is room for the Lord to do His wonderful work in me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I have 2 junk drawers in my kitchen and a junk room and I would love to clean them all out, but I am also dealing with cleaning out other junk in my life. Some of my junk is just unforgetable and unforgivable, which makes it hard to discard.

elena said...

forgiveness is tough...always...but without it...we can't move on...and we end up being "stuck"...offenses may be unforgettable...but they stand as a reminder...of how we've grown...what we've come out of...
if you ahve a chance...go back and read my post on dec 10...
no junk is unforgivable...whether it is forgiving someone else...or forgiving ourselves...it is a step that when taken...leads to peace and contentment...