Tuesday, August 24, 2010

step out of the boat...

remember the story of peter in matthew? when Jesus asked him to step out of the boat and walk towards Him...on the water!?!? the most incredible part of that story for me...is that...as long as peter kept his eyes on Jesus...he was fine...when he took his eyes off of Him...he started to sink...

what a reminder...but today...i'm thinking more about risk...peter had to take a risk to walk out on that water...was he afraid? pretty sure he was...but the key is...he did it...

a long time ago i took a risk with God...opening my heart to Him meant that i would be vulnerable...i had learned that if i stepped outside my carefully constructed walls...i could be hurt...was i willing to let God past those barriers? letting Him in became a first step in a life of risky steps - the good kind! i once heard a mantra – the beat to which i marched – became "do it afraid."

i grew up in a very loving family...but it was a family that didn't promote risk...i still remember when i told my parents that i was quitting my accounting job that i had been at for 6 years...and moving to another company...they couldn't grasp that...as both my parents had come from an era where you find a good job...and stay at that job...well...basically..forever...

was i afraid? yes...but my eagerness to learn...to explore...was so much bigger then the fear...and i had gotten to a point with this first company...that i would not move any further...and the controller basically sat me down and said that i was not promotable any further because i didn't have my degree...and that the department in which i was...needed my expertise...makes sense no? i have the expertise to run a department...so run it...but without the promotions...yeah...i don't think so...

my next job which i was lured to by the head auditor that worked with us at the first place...he saw something in me...probably my willingness to always learn...i moved over to his new company...and in the next 5 years...worked hard...and climbed up the corporate ladder...was it scary? yes... was it trying at times? yes...

then...something was stirring in me to get my degree...by this time i was in my 30's...but thrilled that so much had transpired in my life without the degree...at this point i was assistant vp of an accounting department with 50 employees in my staff...i absolutely loved my job...but the hours were long...and it truly consumed my life...

should i take a risk and do something new? of course...my parents were saying no...but i knew that i wanted that degree...for myself...so i quit...and completely moved to a whole new profession...and went back to school...i quickly moved up in this company as well...and then my supervisor proposed that i move into a sales position...what????? not me...i can't do sales...was it risky?? yes... was i scared?? heck yeah!

fast forward...to having an incredible ride in the sales world...graduating from college...switching careers again...opening up my own business...and now...adding an online store...

God had plans for me that i could never imagine...if i could go back in time...i would find a young girl sitting outside on a curb...wondering where her life would take her...i could not have dreamt this any better...He had plans for my life that i couldn't even imagine...

it was a risk to go back to school...it was a risk to change careers...it was a risk to become an entreprenuer...but there were other...more personal...risks that came first...it was a risk throughout the years to break free from the entanglements of my past and embrace who God intended me to be...it was a risk to take the mask off and be myself with others...

every time i took a step outside my comfort zone...i grew spiritually...i discovered God's destiny rather than operating within the limitations of my own experiences...i discovered a powerful truth along the way...when we take calculated risks...we discover talents and facets of our personality waiting to be developed...

fear can be our largest obstacle to stepping out in courage...a step of faith might not look like success to others...but every risk can ignite more courage...but still...you may ask...what if I fail? take time to consider the other "what if's?"

- what if you live in authenticity and discover new and lasting relationships (even with those in your own home)?

- what if you face your fears and overcome them?

- what if you unmask your emotions and actually deal with them?

- what if you tell your secrets and they no longer suffocate you in the hidden places of your heart?

step out of your boat...as peter did...and discover who you are and what you can do as a child of an amazing God...it's a calculated risk...and it's worth it...

No comments: