Wednesday, October 15, 2008

finding the meaning in today...

as i reflect on this last month and all of its changes...i find myself smiling...

i still remember the moment that i decided to make a change...it wasn't a drastic change...there were many things in my life that were good...really good...but i realized how many things were put on the back burner...for one reason or another...but mostly...because i thought my life was going in one direction...

when i hit that dead-end...i had two choices...to wallow in my misfortune...or change direction...i chose the latter...with a new motto..."don't miss the life that is in front of you"

sarah ban breathnach wrote in simple abundance, "if i do not endow my life and my work with meaning, no one will ever be able to do it for me."

i believe that my attitude determines a majority of how i view my life...if i do not think that enough meaning exists in my life, i need to change it...

i have made a conscious effort to look for the extraordinary in the ordinary...every day...in my errands..whether it be a long drive...or a short drive...thinking of all the things i pass...yet usually do not notice. the scenery...the flowers...a baby laughing...a puppy being taken for a walk. opportunities to minister, chances to have my breath taken away by beauty, a new idea for my business. missed - all for paying half attention.

the amazing thing...is i have lost count on how many people have said to me..."you seem so different"..."you seem so happy"

my first thought...of course...is...was i that misearable? but i don't linger there...i know i am different...in my heart...deep down in my heart...things have changed...my attitude has changed...the way i look at life has changed...my priorities have changed...my focus has changed...

i am different...

don't get me wrong...nothing has really changed in my life...as far as my circumstances...but i have finally allowed my soul to bubble over in everything i do...whether it is running errands, working off my to-do list (not fun) or spending time with my friends and family...i know that my happiness isn't dependent upon other people or circumstances...every day, every minute, every breath truly is...a gift from God...

so when you catch yourself having a bad day...say this out loud: "the quality of my life is determined by one thing: my attitude towards it" say it again and again...

enjoy the moments...breathe in the beauty. celebrate the significance and wonder of life. don't wait until it hits you over the head. it's already there; embrace it!

No comments: