Thursday, October 30, 2008

a new chapter...

reality is setting in that my older niece will be leaving for college...so many mixed feelings come with that realization...as i have been a part of checking out colleges with her...some further away than i had ever expected...but it is a good time for her...a new chapter in her life...what could be more exciting than that...

as we have walked through the different campuses...it has been interesting to learn of what she is looking for in the "perfect" college...what her likes and dislikes are with each one...

this week i have been helping proof-read her college entrance essays...i have to say...she is quite the little writer...of course each college has a different topic...a different format...

when she sent the first rough draft on one of the essays...her last line read..."i need more words"
seems she was concentrating more on the number of words needed than the topic...it made me smile...it showed her stress that she has been feeling for quite some time now...i took her words...added a few...and the essays are now ready to be sent...

she mentioned to me last week that she is thinking of starting a blog...of course i think that is a fabulous idea...i told her how therapuetic it has been for me...and what a great way to capture her new adventure...she was worried if anyone would read it...if she would have the time to write every day...

so i told her...plain and simple...this is not a homework assignment...if you want to write daily...go for it...if you want to write 3 times one day...and then nothing...it is your blog...

i know that i look forward to reading her posts...especially when she is away at school...it will be another way to be updated on her days...her stress...her triumphs...her lows...her new adventures...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for helping me with my essays.
I really appreciate it.
This is a really hard time for me with school and college and everything else and I just thank you for helping me out through it.
you also made our college road trips fun lol

elena said...

it was my pleasure! i was thrilled that you asked for my help...can't wait till you start your blog! i will be a faithful reader!

Mitzie said...

Where is Jessica going to go for College?? Or does she know yet?