Tuesday, April 14, 2009

my mom the seamstress...

the other day i was looking at a bunch of childhood pictures...being completely absorbed in anything fashion...these pictures mean a lot to me...

it still amazes me to this day...that every dress...in each picture...worn by my mom or me...were hand made by mom...

the thing is...she did it out of necessity...funds were low...and it was less expensive to go buy fabric and make your clothes...of course at that time...from the scraps left over of whatever my mom made for herself...there was enough to make me a dress as well...

i remember asking my mom why she stopped making my clothes...and her response...as she is laughing...is that i take up to much fabric now...thanks mom...

as i look at these pictures...what i know...that most wouldn't know...is that each dress was made without pattern...most times...my mom would see a dress at the store...and be able to replicate it...now that i think about it...she has also always been able to do that with her cooking...
ok...how did i end up in this gene pool? these talents i do not possess...but i digress...

without a pattern...what amazes me...is that each picture...the dresses are completely different and unique from each other...that may not seem like some huge deal...but it really is...being in fashion...i am able to pick up on all the detail that each piece possesses...

i truly wish she had saved my dresses...or better yet...i wish she had saved her dresses...being more into vintage clothing...there are many pieces in my mom's wardrobe throughout the years that i would have conveniently stolen from her closet...but...alas...they are gone...my mom always teases me and says that i was born in the wrong era...i just think they made cuter things long ago...

so...without the actual dresses in hand...i sit and admire my mom's handiwork...and incredible talent shown in pictures...i wonder what the chances are of her making me a dress? i think i may need to sweet talk her...

No comments: