Friday, April 17, 2009

what i've learned about prayer...

the thing about prayer...what i've learned...i continue learning...it is a process...some days are easier than others...it is easy sometimes to get in that mode that God is a vending machine...we ask ask ask...for things we "think" we need...and when we are faced with silence...or "no" or "not now"...well that is where the learning process (for me) needs to be re-evaluated...

what i know for sure...is that God knows what is truly best for me...and there are times...many times...that i do not really understand why things work out the way they do...i have lived to see that on past situations...His way was the right way for me...although at the time...i didn't feel it...understand it...and questioned it...

i have learned what it is to pray to a God who has the power to make another way...but chooses not to...it helps to know Jesus understands what this feels like...like Jesus, i've wrestled with God's plan for my life even as i've sought to submit to it...but Jesus shows me how to obey when God's answer to my sincere, reverent prayer is "no." i also see Jesus' example of obedience...

i've learned that submissive prayer is prayer that welcomes God to work in and through my suffering rather than begs him to take it away...it's thanking God for what He gives me rather than resenting him for what i lose...submissive prayer is changing me from someone who knew a lot about God into someone who's experiencing God in deep, though sometimes difficult, ways...

our problem is not so much that God doesn't give us what we hope for as it is that we don't know the right thing for which to hope...(i have to remind myself of that a lot!) hope is not what you expect...it is what you would never dream...

No comments: