Monday, April 5, 2010

chrissy the skinny hazelnut girl...

there is a little downtown area close to where i live that i end up doing the majority of all my errands...i go there...a lot...the great thing is that in this mini shopping area...we have a “super” target, as if there is any other kind...it has a starbucks and a grocery store in it...so...i can buy milk, sheets and a skinny hazelnut latte all in the same place...and life, if even for a moment, is grand...

my many liaisons in target have helped me to become acquainted with the barista in the starbucks there...her name is chrissy...she is 24 years old and single...she loves the way i dress and almost died when she found out i was a wardrobe consultant & personal shopper...she has a really sweet spirit and a beautiful smile...she is one of those people that you would notice when you walk in a room...i sometimes wonder if people would ever say that about me...

anyway...a few months ago i found this scarf with the most unusual design...and in one of my favorite colors...i bought this scarf at the end of winter...thinking i probably was going to save it for next year...but i couldn't pass it up...as it was very unique...and i knew i would find a lot to wear with it...

well...as our weather has been pretty unstable lately...one week of beautiful sunny summer weather...to a week of horrendous rain & bitter cold...last week...one day in particular...it was definately a cold cold nippy day...perfect to wear my scarf...as i was going to be running around doing errands...specifically with an outing to target that night...what a perfect night for starbucks...but on this night, chrissy was sad...i asked her how she was and she replied with “fine”...i immediately thought about how many times i’m way too busy and/or self-absorbed to even notice people around me...or when i do ask “how are you” it’s more of a greeting than me really listening and caring about the response...chrissy made me my usual skinny hazelnut latte and when she leaned over to hand it to me, she smiled at my scarf... “i love that...it is so unique”, she said...i paid, thanked her and walked away...

i walked through target and couldn’t get the funk that chrissy was in out of my head...maybe she got dumped...maybe her boss was a jerk that day...maybe she had no one to spend easter with...maybe she is homeless and hungry...maybe i should care more about what people are going through?? i paid for my things and i quietly took my scarf off and headed over to chrissy. i laid it on the counter and said “hope you have a wonderful weekend...you’re awesome.”

since then, chrissy won’t let me pay for my starbucks anymore...could she get fired for that? we don’t really talk about what was wrong with her or the scarf...she knew that i quietly understood and my scarf was a reminder that she isn’t alone...

lesson: stop being so selfish, scattered, scared, and blinded to the people around me. I AM NOT AN ISLAND...as much as i wish i could be...

by the way...you aren’t an island either...share your pain with someone else and remind them they aren’t walking alone...you will be amazed at what a little selfless love can do...too many of us don’t want to put any work into relationships...is that you too?

No comments: