Wednesday, April 7, 2010

difficult times...they are a comin...

the question in life is not "will we go through difficult times?" but "how will we go through difficult times?" we are all going to have difficult times...if they haven't come already...hate to break it to you...but they will...it's a fallen world...will we go through them alone? will we go through them with a stiff upper lip? will we be crushed under their weight and give up in despair? will we go into denial or become bitter and resentful toward God and others? or will we experience the peace and power of God in ways beyond our wildest dreams? by the way...that last option is God's desire for us...

i've been reading psalm 23 a lot lately...it truly is probably the most well-known portion of scripture in all of the world...it is so familiar...that if you're not careful...you won't think about what it really means...

so try something new...listen with your ears..if you had to jot down the biggest thing that could be a crisis in your life right now...what would it be? if you don't have one...think back on your past to a significant crisis...whatever crisis you choose to look at...whether it's relational or financial or health-related...study this psalm with that crisis in view...rather than as a flowing piece of poetry you've probably heard for years...

Psalm 23
A psalm of David.
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,

3 He restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.

4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.

6 Surely goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.

No comments: