Wednesday, September 23, 2009

peace & contentment...

when waves are crashing against you...it's often a real challenge even to think about being content...let alone being content in my singleness...when hard days come...that is when i most long for that someone to be there for me...

it doesn't always make me so comfortable...but when has God ever wanted me to be comfortable? too comforatable to look outside of my familiar surroundings and mind-set to see what He really has for me? He probably has not...i know God wants us to be moldable and shapeable...not stagnant and unchanged...

but God didn't say life would come without obstacles or temptations...at these times i am reminded of the passage in habakkuk:
"though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines...though the olive crop fail and the fields produce no food...though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls...yet i will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior" (3:17-18)

so the Lord wants me to rejoice in the painful moments...in the seasons that seemingly will never pass...and realize contentment in all circumstances...content with no clear path...content in my singleness...content in my gradually growing knowledge of scriptures...

the problem?

i must have been born of the fast-food industry mentality: i want everything, and i want it now...experience, knowledge, and wisdom...without enduring too many negative repercussions from my human choices... =)

fortunately, God's grace extends to the stubborn, wandering sheep that i am...wanting to test the waters first and to trust in Him second...i am so convicted as i come to Him in prayer...i need to give the Lord some credit here...He knows of my desire to learn and grow in accordance to His will and wants to be there for me...i need to learn to receive that grace...i am so aware of the power of prayer without ceasing...He is helping me put my life in perspective...and i'm realizing how i can't function without Him...in my seeking to know and understand Him...the Lord is showering me with that peace and contentment that only He can bring...

thank you Lord!

No comments: