Tuesday, September 29, 2009

when loneliness hits...part 1

i once heard someone say in a sermon that loneliness is a gift...he explained that God sometimes places people in lonely times so that they can reach out to Him..so that they can make God their sole source of sustenance...

i have been wondering if God puts us into loneliness to teach us to reach out to Him..sounds sort of old testament job-like...i think loneliness is simply a circumstance that arises...i think that if i am lonely...i should realize it and turn it into "alone-with-God-time...

the times i feel lonely are usually the days whn i have nothing planned...i need people around...that is where i draw my energy...i need to share my life...i need to tell someone about my day and to ask how his or her day was...i need to connect with them emotionally...

the thing is...loneliness has nothing to do with singleness...loneliness visits everyone...married or single...we all need affirmation that we are loved and valued...when i feel lonely...i try to spend time with those i know love me...it's not the time for me to meet new people...i need to be with the people that are closest to me...

it makes me wonder if it is a sin to be lonely...if that means i am not reaching out to Him or am not wholly trusting Him with my future...i am trying to reach that perfect love relationship with God...i believe that this process is the very reason for my being....sometimes i drive out to a beach or park to study and pray...this is the time that i am trying to set aside...

i also use mornings for reading and praying...it seems like a better time (for me) to get on my knees and ask God to consecrate my day...

i don't fret loneliness on a day-to-day basis...i realize that i seldom have a sense of being lonely in the moment...i know that some people in my family worry about my singleness...sometimes the idea of a life ahead devoid of intimacy causes me to fret...i pray that God will always remind me of what is to come: i will soon be in heaven where i will reside in the arms of my Father...right now i must draw nigh to Him so that He will draw nigh to me...

how can we be truly lonely with the omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent Creator of the cosmos as our companion?

i'm not sure if i can entirely believe that it is a sin to be lonely...i think that my sin separates me from the love of God...therefore i am susceptible to loneliness...i should ever be exhaling a prayer to my Lord to keep me from sin...for then i will be entering that perfect love relationship that is as unknowing of loneliness as the sea is of arid land...

No comments: