Monday, September 22, 2008

finding treasures...

saturday i spent the day with a friend scouring antique shops for that "perfect" treasure...we were on a mission for vintage buttons for a specific coat...but...when looking for treasures...you must keep an open mind while staying focused at the same time.

this has been a hobby of mine for a long long long time...way before it was considered the "cool" & "trendy" thing to do...in fact...often times my friends would laugh at me (in fun...i think?) at my love for vintage clothing...they just called it old...and now...its become quite the rave....even my mother would often say to a piece of my outfit (it looks old...or it looks like the pattern of a sofa)...but yes...you guessed it...i didn't much care...because i loved it...and that is what truly matters when it comes to my clothes, my furniture, my whatever...

in scouring antique stores, estate sales, flea markets, garage sales and thrift stores...i have uncovered some incredible treasures...what i enjoy of this hobby is not only the finding of it...among the piles and piles of useless junk...but the moment when you first see it...and you know...you just know...that it is the perfect treasure...

to name a few of my favorite finds...
my goldish yellow jacket with mink collar...for pretty much close to nothing! absolutely luscious!!
my italian nesting tables that were made for my home...(yes...that is how perfect they match)
my beautiful vintage rings (too many to name individually)

my "best" scouring story...would have to be the day i went to a garage sale...there was a pile of ragged dolls in a huge bin...i noticed the madame alexander doll right away...i had been collecting them for years...i didn't want to look overly excited...as to let on...that i knew that i had found a priceless treasure...i asked the gentleman the price of the dolls...he said $5.00...again trying not to look to excited over my possible new addition to my collection...i asked if he had any of the boxes from the dolls...he pointed to a corner in the garage...a pile of old boxes...and there it was...the blue with pink box...known by madame alexander doll lovers...i pulled the box out...paid the gentleman...and weeks later...my beautiful madame alexander doll was appraised at over $900...what a treasure...

saturday...i found no treasures...but i still enjoyed the pursuit...it just means that there will be another day...another pile of useless junk that i will scour through...and find...that perfect perfect treasure that was meant just for me...

No comments: