Friday, November 28, 2008

chocolate birthday cake...nothing better...

when i was a little girl...for my birthday...i would always get either a strawberry or lemon cake...both my brothers would get chocolate cakes...nothing wrong with that...but i loved chocolate...and my brothers preferred the fruit flavors...but in my mom's mind...girls got pink & yellow...boys got the chocolate...kinda sexist...hahaha



as i got older...moved out...birthday cakes faded away...as i thought back on it...i think it was just that my birthday fell within the week of thanksgiving...so all the talk of desserts and stuff were based on the thanksgiving dinner...



i honestly do not remember the last time i got a birthday cake...let alone a chocolate one...it has definately been many many many years...periodically we would laugh about it during family dinners...how the strawberry & lemon cakes traumatized me...how i don't get birthday cakes...

everyone would laugh...but there was a little part of me every year...like a little girl...waiting & hoping that i would get a chocolate birthday cake...



this year...i decided to take matters into my own hands...why did someone else need to get me my birthday cake? if it is what i wanted...then i might as well go and get it...



my plan was in place...i went over to copenhagen bakery...looked at all the chocolate cakes...picked my favorite...asked them to write "happy birthday to me" and prepared to bring it to the family thanksgiving dinner...



as i walked into my mom & dad's house...the whole family was already there...and i made my announcement..."i have a surprise for everyone...this year i decided that i would finally get my own chocolate birthday cake...and i brought it today for all of us to share"



ok - as a side note...cracks me up that i buy something for myself and let everyone know that it is for them ;o)...kind of like the time that my ex boyfriend loved a girl wearing jeans...so i went out and bought a pair of jeans for myself...and told him i bought "him" a surprise...



but i digress...



seems my mom had been feeling pretty bad over the years...that my birthday was kind of over looked each year because of thanksgiving...this year...she had decided she was going to make it extra special...and she baked me a two layer chocolate cake with dulce de leche...and the most divine chocolate frosting ever...



needless to say...it completely touched me...not because it was chocolate...although that was pretty incredible...but because she took time out...while cooking up the whole spread for thanksgiving...to bake me my very own birthday cake...



she even had candles for me...and had everyone sing happy birthday to me...during the thanksgiving dessert time...



i was definately on a chocolate high last nite...and out of the seven different desserts out on the table...my mom's cake was the most delish...probably because it was made with so much love...



below is a pic of my two cakes...don't bother counting the candles...apparently my mom didn't have enough...haha




No comments: