Wednesday, November 26, 2008

the order of events...

pet peeves...i have a few...but one that seems to really get under my skin...is the fact that christmas is promoted...seems like earlier and earlier...are we going to get to the point where christmas decorations are seen in the stores year round?

this year i think i saw the first glimpse of christmas in stores in late september...what happened to halloween and more importantly...thanksgiving??

i am pretty stubborn in my own "rules" of holiday start times...and actually...hopefully...i won't change ;o)

for example...i will not pull out any of my christmas stuff...or listen to christmas music...until the day after thanksgiving...something in me...i cannot do it...i feel at times that thanksgiving is just kind of thought of for a moment...and then the focus is back on the upcoming christmas holiday...

thanksgiving to me is a very special holiday...and yes...part of it is that i LOVE turkey SO much...actually i love all the food that is served at the thanksgiving table all the way to desserts...which in our household is quite the variety...

but more importantly...it is a time to really focus on all that we have...not necessarily in material items...but not to ignore those...but also...all the areas we have been blessed...all the wonderful family and friends that we are surrounded with...

there are so many things to be thankful for...and no...it shouldn't be thought of only on this day...but we also shouldn't live it as any other day...

yesterday was another reminder...just like every big event that happens...some make us think about what we have...and where we are in life...

it is sad that it takes tragedy, or the loss of someone you love, to snap us back to realizing what we have...

this thanksgiving...if you are fortunate enough to sit around a table full of family and friends...maybe even those irritating relatives...that may be a bit hard to handle...and food on the table...and laughter...

thank the Lord for your fortune...in a world where we are constantly wishing for more...many times...not happy with our current situations...

we are a blessed people...

so as i am like a little child...excited about pulling out my christmas music...i know that opportunity will come...at its appointed time...for now...i want to bask in all the blessings the Lord has given me...

i want to thank Him for my family...quirky as we may be...
i want to thank Him for my friends...who this year...have really surrounded me when i needed it most...
i want to thank Him for my health...
i want to thank Him for my home...
i want to thank Him for my beautiful two boys...(yes...my kitties) who entertain me daily...
i want to thank Him for the life He has given me...although at times it has been hard...it is a great life...and my hope is that it brings Him honor...

happy thanksgiving...

No comments: