Thursday, November 27, 2008

thanksgiving morning...

as i sit in the quiet of my home...i am overwhelmed with emotion...

there is so much to be thankful for...

as i think back over the year...there are so many things that didn't go the way i had thought they would...the way i had wanted them to...or the way i had planned...

it has been a year of lessons...some really hard lessons...
it has been a year of hurt...disappointment...
it has been a year of loss...betrayal...

but i sit today...and i am happier than i have been in years...how could that be?
i can say that for the first time in a really long time...i am content...i am content with where i am...

how can i have a thankful contented heart when the circumstances in my life are not what i had planned?

how can i have a thankful contented heart when the circumstances lie outside my control or my power to change it?

what i know for sure is that i serve a God who is trustworthy...and that He desires our good...God is sovereignly in control, providing for and working out ALL the circumstances in the lives of those who love Him. He is intimately involved with us...and He works out His purposes through the events in our lives...

what i know for sure is that God's love for His people is not determined by the circumstance in our lives. His love is steadfast...our marital status (dating life), career or finances might fluctuate or totally fall apart...in spite of that, though...we can..and must give Him thanks...He is always with us...

during this year...i have felt more love from family and friends...they surrounded me...they never said "i told you so"....even though they had warned me...they stood by me...comforted me...encouraged me...and loved me...

i know that was God...because at my lowest point...it was Him who came and met me...picked me up...and carried me...carried me until i was able to walk again...carried me until i was able to look beyond my circumstances at all that i truly had...

and i have a lot...

so as i'm sitting in the quiet...knowing that in about 5 hours...i will be with family...the first time in a long time...that the whole family will be together...i know there will be a lot of laughter...goofiness...stories told...teasing...

and for that...i am thankful...

but most of all...i am thankful for my Father in Heaven...who loves me in spite of me...

as i open up my itunes...i search songs based on the word "thankful"...

the first song plays...and once again i am overwhelmed...how appropriate...these words ring so true...

thankful by the katinas

Just a little while longer I wanna pray
Can't get You off my mind so I came to say
Thank You Lord just for loving me
Many times as I do forget
Every need that You have met
Oh thank You Lord,
I know You're showing me
You are there when I am down and out
You're holding me, Your love is so amazing
Oh it changed me

Chorus:
Here I am with all I am
Raise my hands to worship You
I wanna say thank you, oh thank you
For everything, for who You are
You cover me, You touch my heart
I wanna say thank you

I could have died in my sin but You saved me
Didn't have any hope at all
You gave me peace divine, strength to carry on
I should have been the one to pay
But instead You took my place
My Jesus, words cannot explain
Even though I don't deserve Your love for me
You look beyond my fault and You showed mercy

I wanna say thank you for the sun
I wanna say thank you for the rain
Everything You do is beautiful
I'm so grateful for Your love

Chorus:
Here I am with all I am
Raise my hands to worship You
I wanna say thank you, oh thank you
For everything, for who You are You cover me,
You touch my heart I wanna say thank you

may you find contentment in your situations...happy thanksgiving!

No comments: