Wednesday, December 3, 2008

christmas tree day...

today is the big day! i get my christmas tree...

this was the first year that i seriously considered not getting a tree...with the finances the way they are...and no true change in sight...should i really be spending my money on a christmas tree that will be here for less than a month?

the problem is...that i cannot get a little tree...that would probably cost less money...and take up less room...

my theory is...if i'm getting a tree...i'm going to go all out...

my christmas trees are always over 6 feet tall...this year will be no exception...

my girlfriend and i go every year...look over tree after tree to find the perfect one for my home...
she does this with me...every year...she has her artificial tree that she is happy with...and even though she is not picking one out for herself...she takes a morning off to help me out...
awww...

it is quite a site to behold - two girls trying to manuever 6 ft trees...but every year we manage...we also always find the perfect tree...and somehow...the two of us...manage to get the tree into my house...and on the stand...and standing straight...what a team!

prerequisites for my tree are: over 6 ft tall...and as wide as is possible...

i am like a little kid - as i start to imagine how my home will be after today...the smell of the fresh cut tree...the twinkling lights...the christmas music in the background...

and my two kitties will happily sit underneath the tree...they do this every year...as they are indoor cats...and this is the closest to nature that they ever get...

this year will be a "light" christmas as far as gift giving - so many people are struggling with finances...but as i think about it...the gift giving...although fun to give and receive...should not be the main focus of christmas...it is a time for family and friends...and time spent together...

i hope to have my home full of friends and family thoughout this season...so with that anticipation...i look forward to today...to make my home a christmas wonderland...for my friends and family who will visit...and for me...

one of my favorite things to do this time of year...is to sit quietly at night...with only the lights of the tree lighting the room..and contemplate...think...pray...and focus on all the wonderful things in my life...

there is a sense of peace...in the quiet of those moments...to focus on the birth of Christ...how He came to this world...a king...born in a manger...come to save the world...

No comments: