Monday, December 15, 2008

who is your priority?

my girlfriend sent me a quote the other day that stopped me in my tracks...

"never allow someone to be your priority, while allowing yourself to be their option."

ok...even as i read it now...it stirs up really deep emotions for me...i completely was guilty of this...and it didn't work out in my favor...

the lessons learned from the experience were intense...to say the least...as i think back...it really saddens me to know that what all my friends were telling me were true...i was sure they just didn't know him like i did...

turns out...it was me who didn't know him...

as i look back...i think it must have saddened God's heart...he (not God) was all i thought about...his struggles and pain were all i wanted to care for...there was nothing that i wouldn't have done for him...and as much as was in my power...i did all i could do for him...

i sometimes think...do i have that kind of devotion for the Lord? i know that i love the Lord with all my heart...but to have that adoration...where He is all i think about...unfortunately...life happens...and i let "things" or "people" become more deserving of my time...i don't do it intentionally...but none the less...it happens...and God patiently waits...waits for more time with me...

the story ends where i was not the option that was chosen...and as much as that hurt...the biggest lesson learned...the one that was glaring at me...was how easy it is to be swayed by people and things...

the saddest part is that there is a big hole where this friend resided...i sometimes wonder if God felt it was necessary for me to be stripped of the whole relationship...not only the intimate side of it...but the friendship side as well...seems rather intense...but i'm dealing...as best i could...

i have always been teased about seeing things with a "glass half full" mentality...so here it goes...
in losing someone...and being hurt by someone who i considered one of my dearest friends for the last eight years...i have clung to the Lord...and in spending time with Him...as i always have...but in making Him my priority...and not others...i have a peace and contentment that is indescribable...

i am not an option to the Lord...He loves me no matter what...there is nothing that i could do that would make Him love me more...and there is nothing so terrible that i could do...that would make Him love me less...

He is...and needs to be my priority...

even when i hopefully someday...meet that special someone...i need to keep my priority set on the Lord...

people will let you down...the Lord...never will...

No comments: