Tuesday, December 23, 2008

my evening with jack...

yesterday i met a young man named jack...big brown eyes...full of life...and shopping for his mom...

he showed up at nordies with his grandma & grandpa...in his pocket...many wrinkled dollar bills...
i asked if there was something i could help them with...jack looked up at me...and said..."i need help to find my mom the best present"

now there is a job you want to fulfill as best you can!

i asked him to tell me about his mom...what colors she likes...etc...he was able to answer all my questions so eloquently...

jack is 4 yrs old...i've had men come in shopping for their girlfriends...for their wives...not having a clue about the questions i asked...and here is jack...4 yrs old...and he knows his mom very well...

as we were looking for the perfect gift...i striked up a conversation with jack...and after 5 minutes...he just comes up to me...and grabs my legs to hug me...a full bear hug! guess we had an instant connection!

talking with jack...i found that he had saved this money from doing chores at grandma & grandpa's house...and his mom had no idea that he had this money...she was in for a wonderful surprise...

in our economy...jack had a nice little bundle...enough to buy his mom a beautiful scarf...as he helped me uncrumple his bills...and sort out all his quarters...i asked if he wanted to help me wrap his mom's gift...his eyes showed pure delight...his love for his mom was so apparent...

in that 10 minute interaction...i received 4 hugs from jack...his grandparents were a little surprised...telling me how he is very distant when he first meets people...

i wished them a beautiful christmas...and they took off...

about an hour later...i took my dinner break...normally i just go to the cafe...but being that it was already so late...they had closed...so i ventured out in the mall to bodeen's...i placed my order...waited for my order...and then set out to find a nice quiet table...as i sat down...about a minute later...jack is at my side...smiling ear to ear...his bright beautiful big brown eyes shining...

"can you be my date for dinner?" he asked...

ok...how can anyone say no? i was honored...i picked up my tray...took his hand and walked over to their table...

i had one of the most wonderful dinner dates...who knew that a 4 yr old boy named jack...could...just by being himself...warm the heart of a stranger as he did...

as i was driving home last nite...thinking about the day...it was well past midnite at this point...i remembered my prayer on the same day to work...i had asked the Lord to help me through my day...that i would be able to let His light shine through me...and at the end of the prayer...i remembered that i had added...and Lord..let me see a burst of your love today...

He brought it in the way of jack...a beautiful 4 yr old boy...loving his mom...loving those around him...

No comments: