Wednesday, June 3, 2009

a pleasant surprise in a stranger...

yesterday...i had the most pleasant experience with a total stranger...left me feeling like...wow...there still are some nice honest people around...
kinda sad that i would be surprised...but it seems that most of the time...people are looking out for themselves...and usually whether aware or not aware of it...not much thought is put into those their actions may affect...

i sell some stuff on ebay periodically...recently i sold a beautiful tahari sundress...for a great price...the woman who bought it...wrote me when she received the dress...in panic...because it didn't fit...she couldn't zip up the back of it...

unfortunately...i have a no return policy...one that is very visible...and written in several places in my ebay listing...she nformed me that she didn't see it...i have strayed from accepting returns...as it just became a nuisance from all those who lied or whatever...to return an item...and not for valid reasons...

i suggested she try and sell the dress...and that was that...or so i thought...

as i sat and thought about our conversation...and how respectful we both were to each other...and really wanting a win/win solution...it was too late to call her...as she lives on the east coast...but i sent her an email that i would honor a return for her...

in the morning...i called to follow-up with her...she informed me...that after we had spoken...she called ebay directly...and told them of the situation...she explained to them that she didn't feel she should keep a dress that didn't fit...however...i as a seller had a no return policy...
well - ebay said that they would reimburse her for the purchase...

i sat in awe as she told me this...because...she literally could have sent the dress back to me...and gotten a refund from ebay as well as from me...and i would have never known it...
she said she felt an honesty from me...and she could not think of doing that to me after i was so "pleasant" to her...

it was such a minor thing...but it restored my faith in that there are good people out there...that are complete strangers...and i believe that when you treat people the way you would like to be treated...it truly does come back to you...

she has now put me in her "favorite seller" category...and i have a new ebay customer & friend...

No comments: